Sunday 16 November 2008

Good week

Things went pretty well this week. I managed a 6 mile run on Monday, 21 miles on the turbo trainer on Wednesday and a 22 mile ride during the day on Friday. The turbo ride was 30 minutes steady and then .5 mile sprint and then 1 mile steady for an hour.

On Saturday I met up with Ed and headed off into the Surrey Hills for a long ride. We went with another friend of ours, Simon, who I met through running. He recently completed the UK Ironman so was in very good shape and showed it up the hills.

The weather was really good with cloud for the first hour and then broken cloud for the rest of the ride until the last our when it was cloudy again. Not too cold and no rain. We aimed to do a couple extra hills today with an extension of the normal route to include Leith Hill. It was a tough route with the added extra hill when we missed a turn on a down hill and had to go all the way back to the top.

We finished with figures of 88.22 miles in 6 hours of cycling. Not very quick but we weren't pushing it. It was Ed's turn to be a bit below par, he had another puncture and we got lost several times. My computer said we climbed 6743 feet and even if that's a little generous, its good. If we keep up this level of training we will be in good shape by next February.

Sunday was the Epsom 10. 10 miles from Epsom race course on a hilly course. I did it last year in 1:28:29 and was really pleased as it was part of my road to recovery. This time my aim was to beat last years time but I was feeling very sluggish and tired after Saturday's ride and decided just to plod round. The first 3 miles were really painful but I picked it up a bit in the middle section as I kept up with a group of runners. The end couldn't come soon enough but my time wasn't horrific. 1:31:57. I was 267th out of 340 finishers. No medal. I got the same pen as last year.

No comments: