Saturday 20 December 2008

Good couple of weeks

After 10 days of flu, I came back slowly with a couple of short runs and easy sessions on the turbo trainer.

Things really improved with a great long ride on Saturday. It was done on my own as Ed had to work and its the longest ride I've done on my own since I started riding again. Its certainly more fun doing it with someone else. I did take my walkman and listen to 7 podcasts which helped pass the time.

The ride was 78 miles to Box Hill and back. This is the first time I had done this route. Normally I do three hills including Box and then its mostly down hill or flat all the way home through Epsom and Kingston. By turning around at Box Hill, I do the first two hills again from their other sides. This resulted in 5 bigish climbs and over 6500 feet of climbing instead of 5500 (verified by both cycle computer and Garmin watch).

I did the whole thing quite slow but I did take my mates advice and attack all the hills. I'm told that getting miles in my legs coupled with pushing myself up all the hills is the best thing to do at the moment. The overall time for the ride isn't an issue at this stage.

On Sunday I had the day to myself as the family had gone to my mother-in-laws and then to a pantomime so I took the opportunity and did 5 miles running and a quick 11 miles on the turbo trainer with the resistance cranked up. Not bad for the day after a long ride.

No comments: