Saturday 25 October 2008

Slow Saturday Ride

I had planned 5 rides with Ed after the Epic and this was one of them. I knew it was 6 days after the marathon and I told Ed I would not be quick but I didn't count on being quite so tired. It didn't help that I had poker on Friday night and although I didn't drink, I didn't go to bed until 1am.

After ignoring my alarm, my wife saved me and got me up. I rushed around but made it to the station, just. I made it on the 7:22 train from Clapham Junction to Haslemere. I met Ed on the train at Woking and we arrived on time in Haslemere at 8:16. I had planned a route and Ed had put it in his Garmin so between the two of us, we got round ok.

We started up the hill to Hinhead and then down the A3 a bit before taking the back road to Liphook. Then back to Haslemere, Chidingfold, Witley, Godalming and Shamley Green. The roads we never flat with lots of undulations to slow us down. We then went up an 18% hill that had me really struggling. I just couldn't push whilst sitting and my thighs had no power. I eventually got up to the top, helped along by many riders coming the other way (I didn't want to be embarrassed).

Once up the hill we rejoined our usual route and went via Ranmore Common to Box Hill and then tea (and cake for me) at Box Hill NT cafe. I was hungry and tired by this stage and ready to go home.

The quick run back to Kingson was fun and once we negotiated the idiot Saturday shoppers (what recession!), we were up Kingston Hill. Ed peeled off home and I went to the A3, Wandsworth and home. An overall good ride done with very tired legs.

Distance - 76.3 miles
Climb - 5565 feet
Time - 5:10

1 comment:

Mark Liversedge said...

that 18% hill is called white down assuming you came at it from the A25. Its a cracker.