Wednesday 11 March 2009

Ahhhhhh, warmth

Goodbye tights, hello shorts.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun but I had a lovely ride today in my bibbed shorts, base layer and jersey. No gillet, no jacket, no tights and no big gloves. Its was great.

I've never been a lover of thights. I have never ever run in tights even in the depths of winter with snow on the ground but I was told by many that knee warmth is crucial for cyclists. So I got these horrible second hand (yuk!) bibbed tights that have lasted the winter. Now its finally warm enough for shorts and my legs can breathe.

The shorts in the picture are my old shorts. My new ones arrive in the next two weeks from Wiggle. I went for the dhb Finchdean Bib Shorts. Lots of people told me to get Assos but they are really pricey and the dhb shorts got very high marks in all their reviews.

And the red ones match my bike. I was thinking of the white ones but I don't think I can pull off white lycra yet (or ever).

I also had a good ride today. 25 miles at a decent speed - 18 mph average. That included lots of traffic lights. I was told by a friend that just like running, if I wanted to ride faster, ride faster. So I did 5 or 6 miles of speed work riding about 20 seconds on the hammer then 30 seconds off.

5 comments:

Lost Sheep said...

The dhb bibs are fab. I have them and am rarely out of them.

I'm similar to you in that my kit matches my bike too!

Simon Lewis said...

That's good to know. I'm just waiting for Wiggle to send them. They are out of stock.

Great blog by the way.

Lost Sheep said...

Thanks. I'm rather miffed I currently can't ride tho!

Hopefully I'll be abck on the bike in time for some sportives this summer.

Simon Lewis said...

What's the prognosis? Has the hip mended? I went out in the snow and was slipping a little bit but your story gives me the willies.

Lost Sheep said...

It'll be at least another month off the Everest - I'll know for sure when I'm back at Ortho mid April.

Don't let what happened to me affect you. It was just a total freak accident - I'm more confident in the snow on my bike than I am walking. Had no problems at all in the New Year snow when the roads hadn't been gritted, so maybe the grit, snow, more grit, more snow etc was a factor?!