Saturday 28 March 2009

Wind, hail, sun, sleet, rain and more wind

What miserable weather! After the beautiful sun we had last week, it was very depressing to have a week of wind and rain.

Monday was supposed to be a 4 mile run whilst my daughter was swimming and I don't mind running in bad weather so that was fine. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were meant to be rides outside but I just couldn't be bothered to get all my cold weather gear out.

So, Tuesday was a rest day and Wednesday was a run and a spin class in the gym. On Thursday is was supposed to meet Stephen for a long ride but we both agreed that the weather so too foul so I went for a run instead.

Saturday was earmarked for a long ride and even though the weather was terrible, I knew I had to go out. I planned to go down to Box Hill and do the 65 mile route but I also had a route planned out for a century ride. I wanted to get one done as it was becoming an issue in my head. The Fred, Dave Lloyd, Dartmoor and Etape are all over 100 miles.

I was up at 7 and got all my gear on - base layer, bibbed shorts (padded), winter bibbed tights (unpadded), winter gloves and shower coat. I finally forced myself out at 8:15 and my parting words to my wife were "bloody hell its cold".

I made my way to Box Hill and in the first two hours I had everything the heavens had to offer apart from snow. The hail was particularly unpleasant. It hurt. I got to the National Trust cafe and stopped for a cup of tea to decided where to go. I was coping ok with most of the weather but the wind was making progress very slow. Every time I got some speed up, a big gust would slow me right down.

I decided that I had done 40 miles so I might as was press on. I went down to Westcott and towards Leith Hill only to take a wrong turning. I managed to get back on track but only after doing an extra hill. It was all hard work with the wind and constantly changing weather but I got back to Box Hill and had done 77 miles. I didn't stop this time and just headed home through a very heavy shower.

I was very pleased as I rode through Wandsworth as the cycle computer ticked over to 100 miles. That is my first century for 6 years and felt easier than it did then (but still tough). I am shattered now and I don't plan to do too much before I go away to Devon next week for 4 days hard riding.

Stats
Distance: 103.4 miles
Time: 7:01:10
Average: 14.7 mph (well, it was windy :-)
Food: Two bars, three bottles of SiS PSP22
Weather: Rubbish

6 comments:

trio said...

Great time, I'd be happy with that if it wasn't windy!

Getting the century is a great feeling isn't it?

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers. Yeah, its great to get done. I have a better idea what I'm capable of and what I need to work on. Mainly speed and more hills. I feel terrible today.

trio said...

Yes recovery needs training as well. But my favourite bit is when you tell people, they don't think its possible!

Chris said...

Well done Simon,

Excellent stuff,well done on achieveing the 100 miles this weekend.Your ride sounded similar to mine, weather wise and taking a wrong turn, just not as long.Keep up the hard work

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers Chris. I guess the bad weather is character building ;-) Do you have a blog? Are you training for anything particular?

trio - Yeah, I love casually telling people I cycled over a 100 miles. Trouble is, all my friends know not to ask me about any of it otherwise I start going on and become a real cycling bore.

trio said...

oh is that why people don't ask me and their eyes glaze over when I start talking about bikes?