Monday 9 March 2009

Tired and heavy legged

I'm struggling. I found Saturday's 82 miler hard going. My legs felt very heavy and I couldn't get a decent spin going for long. My right knee was also twinging but that's nothing new.

I know I need more sleep. I'm terrible at getting to bed at a decent time. I mess around looking at random stuff on the computer or flicking through the TV channels and before I know it, its past midnight. I hardly ever get more than 7 hours sleep and sometimes less. I also know that having extra sleep does make a difference. Before the Edinburgh marathon last year, I made myself go to bed before 11pm every night for the week before and I felt so fresh by the weekend.

I went out today and my legs were still heavy. It was very windy which didn't help. I was meant to do 30 miles but after struggling to Richmond and doing a windy lap I was pretty much done. I did an extra little loop to make sure I was over 20 miles (the bare minimum) and headed home.

I'm also doing badly with the diet. I am hungry all the time and I'm turning to comfort foods. Its not making me gain weight but I'm also not losing it and given the amount of exercise I'm doing, this is poor.

I just need to have a good week were training goes well, I feel fresh and I lose weight. That's not too much to ask, is it?

2 comments:

trio said...

Diet is hard, your body craves food all the time with that level of exercise!

Don't beat yourself up. 85miles at the time of year is good, on target for the etape!

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers Trio. Just having a low with the training.

I saw you blog. Excellent. I'll be following.