Sunday 1 March 2009

Meon Valley Plod

Running-wise, I had certainly not trained for this event. I had done three half-marathons in 2009 but my weekly total has obviously suffered because of the cycling. However, I was not too worried as I found out at the Abingdon marathon that cycle-training translates to running.


I picked up a fellow running at Clapham Junction who needed a lift to the race. It was nice to have someone to chat to on the drive down the A3. We got their in plenty of time and got ourselves ready.

The race started at 10:30 with a short hill through a field and then down and to a farm and a short spell on a road. After the road, the first proper hill came into view. It was through two fields and then up. A small trail of people could been seen walking up the steep hill.

After that there was a loop back to the start at mile 5 before a short section on the road and then off to the next hill. This one wasn't too bad apart from a sore left knee that was bothering me. Thankfully it didn't get any worse. The middle section has two nice surprised. One is a path that can get very boggy but was fine this year and then a stretch that is used by quad bikes and motocross bikes so is really rutted and you have to pick your line really carefully to avoid ankle twists. Again, this was better than last year when it was very wet and slippy.






I was feeling ok at this point and really enjoying myself. I had taken both my Sports Beans and Cliff Blocks (both orange) which were good. The beans are sweet and the blocks an odd texture but both seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure how they were taste after 7 hours in the saddle.



Mile 15 and we started up Butser (I always called it Buster but hey, I am dyslexic) which is the tallest hill on the South Downs. The first half mile is steep and through some woods before it emerges and you see the long route to the top. There is no running up it unless you are a freak so its a slow plod to the top. I made sure I walked up at a first pace and managed to pass some people. At the top, you run around the top of a large natural bowl with a really steep drop to one side. I wasn't keen on that bit.

Then its up another short hill before you reach to summit and get to the next feed station. This is the best feed station of any race with water, jelly beans, mars bars, cake, coffee, tea and rum. I had a milky, sweet coffee and a piece of cake and it tasted brilliant.

With the biggest hill done and only 6 miles to go, I felt like I had cracked it but like any run, the last bit is the hardest. The route went down for two miles before steadily rising again. From 18 to 20 miles, it went gradually up and up and sapped the last energy in your legs. With 1 to go you see part of the outbound route and that gave me a second (or third or forth) wind and I stretched my legs. I was surprised at how good I felt and got some speed up (compared to the previous miles) finishing with an 8:40 minute mile.

This is a fantastic race. I love it every time I do it and I will be back next year. It love it because its well organised, has such friendly people, has a great route, is really hard and it gives me such a sense of achievement. Thanks to all the organisers. Now, I better stop running and start lots of cycling.

Details
Number: 6 (same as 2008 - spooky)
Distance: 21 miles
Total Ascent: 2683 feet
Official Time: 3:32:25
Pace: 10:21 minute miles
Finishing Position: 191
Total Finishers: 364
First Place: 02:21:02
Last Place: 5:35:50

No comments: