Sunday 1 March 2009

Catch-up

In marathon training schedules, it is often said that if you miss some sessions due to things like injury or illness, you should not attempt to play catch-up because it can lead to injury and illness. What do they know!!!!

After being rubbish last week, I was determined to have a storming 7 days and achieve my cycling targets for February. The week started well with a 63 mile ride over to Box Hill and back. My legs were very heavy after my trail half marathon on Saturday and I wasn't quick but I did work hard on all hills.

Tuesday saw me wake with a cold. Well, not a new cold as I don't think a completely shook-off the cold I can 10 days ago but it has got worse. Maybe the experts were right about catch-up. My knee was also hurting so I took the day off. I slept very badly that night and ended up on the couch to avoid keeping Cath up with my coughing.

My cold was no better on Wednesday but I went out anyway. If I'm going to feel rubbish, I might as well do it on a bike. I did the same Box Hill route with a slight extra bit at the end to do 65 miles. The ride got better as I went along. I felt rotten in the evening but slept better.

Thursday was a fast run and cycle in the gym and Friday was another 30 miles on the bike and a little run. It was actually sunny and I had to take my coat off which was great. I also cycled the 10 miles to my mates house to play poker. I only had one can of cider as I'm being good. I went to Richmond Park on Saturday morning for a gentle ride with Ed. Nothing to strenuous given Sunday's race. I was feeling tired from a late night and Ed was kind enough to wait for me several times.

Sunday was the Meon Valley Plod - read my other post for a race review.

Totals:
Bike - 223.1 miles
Run - 23.5 miles
Total Time - 17 hours 43 minutes
Estimated Calories - 10,428 (using MapMyRide)

No comments: