Saturday 3 January 2009

2008 Review

Its been an excellent year. The obvious highlights have been the marathons as I started the year with one goal and that was to get a sub-4 over 26.2 miles. I did that in Edinburgh in May and couldn't have been happier (Well, a little. Only 2 minutes faster to beat my Dad's PB). The fact that I did another sub-4 in Autumn at Abingdon was just a bonus.

With my focus switching to Cycling in the summer, it made for a diverse year. I have found it tough getting to grips with all that cycling has to offer. My inexperience has shown at times but thankfully, it seems I bought the right bike and that I love doing it. I have got better at dealing with weather, cleaning the bike and just riding. I still have problems finding the time, something I never really had issue with when I did all running.

After the marathons, the best day out exercising was the Epic cycle. A fabulous day in spite of the weather and something that cemented the idea that cycling was for me and I was doing the right thing trying for the Etape.

Here are my stats for 2008.

Running
Total Miles Run - 1046 miles
Total Number of Runs - 138
Average Run - 7.6 miles
Number of Running Events -24 races (9 x 5k, 2 x 10k, 1 x 10 mile, 5 x Half M, 2 x 21 mile, 2 marathons and 3 other distances)
PBs - Wimbledon 5k and Edinburgh Marathon

Cycling (7 months)
Total Miles Cycled - 1400 miles
Total Number of Rides - 55
Average Ride - 25.5 miles
Meters Climbed - 49,713 feet (15,153 meters)
Number of Cycling Events - 1

Other
Events - 1 (London Duathlon)

For 2009, I aim to get to 1200 miles running (25 a week average) and over 5000 miles cycled. Its going to be tough but you might as well aim high. Happy New Year to all.

No comments: