Sunday 4 January 2009

Longmoor Lollop 2009

Yes, its not cycling but I'm finding it hard to give up the running. Especially events like the Longmoor Lollop. I did it in 2008 and really enjoyed it. Its a half marathon along trails and through woods on picturesque army land. Its got lots of short but steep hills which makes it challenging. Its only a small event with only 65 runners on 2008.

Last year I was on the road back from injury and not in the best shape but was happy with my 2:20. This year I felt so much stronger especially up the hills. After been left by the serious runners at the beginning, I settled with the back group around the first lap. I kept it easy and many of the runners pulled away. I felt good on the second lap and my strength on the hills helped me catch and pass about 10 runners. If I was better going downhill, I would have caught one or two more.

I did stumble on my left ankle an few times and I tripped and fell on a root at one point but I got around pretty unharmed apart from a cut knee. It was very cold and the ground was frozen so there was a lot of potential for twisted ankles.

I finished in 2:00:16. Yes, I should have sprinted for sub-2. I was 34th out of 60. First person came in at 1:27:49 and last in 2:33:45 with 8 DNF.

No comments: