Sunday 25 January 2009

Rain stops play

Now, I am prepared to cycle in the rain in an event or at the weekends long ride but during the week, I'm a fair weather cyclist. So this week hasn't been great for riding.

Monday and Tuesday were again taken as knee resting days. Wednesday was a 7 mile run and Thursday an 8.8 mile run.

By Friday I knew I needed to get back on the bike so I got all set up for an hour on the turbo. However, as I started I noticed a continuous vibration from the flywheel. I looked back and once every revolution the flywheel would move in and out. On closer inspection it seemed that the tyre was not round (if that makes sense) i.e. the rim was true but the tyre wasn't. I deflated it and checked to see if the inner tube was caught or twisted but I couldn't see anything. When I inflated it, it was the same; slightly wider but not was high in one place. I gave up.

I woke on Saturday to a lovely Sunny day but it was cold. I knew I'd be fine if I got all my gear on and went for a cycle but to be honest, I couldn't be bothered. I really didn't feel like getting out all the gear so I went running instead. I'm really glad I did as it was a great run in the sun down the bank of the Thames to London Bridge and back. 14 miles in total.

I didn't have much time on Sunday so I ran to the gym and did a spin class for an hour. I'm not a huge fan of them but they are useful and get my legs turning. I hate the music they play (dancy nonsense) and the women who takes the class does too many funny whooping noises but its hard work and is probably worth it.

Not a bad week. Not enough cycling but plenty of excercise. I have the Ashdown next weekend so I'll be back on track with my weekly riding targets.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Performance-Cycling-Successful-Sportives/dp/1408100495/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233077529&sr=1-1Garry Palmer and Richard Allen

Dear Simon
Have been enjoying your blog. I am a cycling novice starting from stratch for the Etape 2009. I'm following the program in the book above. I wondered if you had seen it. I have been impressed. Good luck.
(No financial interest to declare)

Simon Lewis said...

Hi Anon,

Glad you are enjoying my attempts at blogging. Yep, I have the book. I think its a good and I've got a lot from it. I thought the weakest part was the training schedule. I thought it was a bit brief. I also have the issue that I am not giving up my running so I have to fit that in to a training schedule. Are you doing the novice programme? How is it going?

Anonymous said...

Did you leave the wheel clamped in the trainer overnight? That can deform the tyre where it is pressed against the trainer and you will get the effect you noticed. If you leave the bike in the trainer after a session, undo the resistance unit so the tyre isn't getting pressed out of shape. It should sort itself out and come back into shape after a few rides!
Good luck for the etape.

Simon Lewis said...

Another friend mentioned this but it wasn't left in my turbo. However, I think it was caused by leaving it leant against a hot radiator. I think the rear wheel was pressed against it which could be the problem. I did 30 miles in Richmond Park today and could feel it a bit.

Anonymous said...

I agree sounds like a case of pressure wheel left on.

I have got a very old steel bike which has been given a second life as a permanent training setup clamped on my turbo complete with a special tyre with my friendly LBS sourced and fitted.

see you in montelimar!

AP