Sunday 22 February 2009

Great end to a forgettable week


After a forgettable week in my training, I went to Devon on Friday to stay with my Dad and take park in the South Devon Coastal Trail Half Marathon. This was an event run by Endurancelife who organise a series of coastal runs as well as some other events. In 2008 I did the North Devon version of the event near Lynmouth. That was a very tough half marathon on hard terrain with lots of hills. This run was no different.

I set off from Moretonhampstead at 7:45 to drive the 40 twisty miles to Beesands on the coast. It was a fabulous morning, blue skies and it was fresh, rather than cold; a perfect day for running. I arrived at 9:00 as the marathoners ran down the sea front to start their 26.2 miles. Lots of fit looking people.

I parked the car and registered to get my number, ate some of the free Clif Bars from the stand (now my 1st choice of energy bar) and got ready. After a quick safety briefing (don't run off the cliff) more than 300 runners set off.

These events are quite unlike a regular road race. People look different. There are regular runners like myself but there are more skinny people and more facial hair. The gear is different as well with most wearing tights, trail shoes, backpacks and a lot with buffs. This race had made it mandatory to carry water, foil blanket, jacket, food and phone so I ran with my camel pak for the first time.

The race didn't give you time to get settled as it went straight up a hill onto the cliff top before dropping down and going up a larger hill. Then it went along the coastal path with a mixture of good paths, mud, rocks and fields.



I reached the halfway point feeling ok but warm. Out of the sea breeze it was warm and with the pack-pak on I was getting through my water fast. I had my timing chip scanned and carried on straight up a huge hill. Most were walking but I decided to get up it running so I settled into a slow plod and went up. By doing this I must have passed 30 people and I got quite a few saying "well done".
A short spell of flat was met with cries from people ahead. They could see the next hill. In front of us was a field that went very steeply down and from our vantage point we could see the hill and the line people rising from the bottom. It was steep. I got to the bottom of it and started my plod again and managed most of the way but not all. I joined the others walking for the last little bit.
Another slow hill was next but my watch said 12.5 miles so I knew it wasn't far. A push up the hill and we caught site of the sea and the beach near the start. A mad dash down the last hill started with people flinging themselves down the trail in an ungainly sprint. Its a miracle no one broke their ankle. I crossed the finish line to see my Dad, wife and daughters waiting for me.
Details
Distance: 13.5 miles (according to the Garmin)
Time: 2:26:00 (slow but is was a trail run)
Climb: 2550 feet
Finishing Place: 106th
Total Finishers: 360

No comments: