Sunday 1 February 2009

The Hell of the Ashdown (Brrrrrrrrrrrr)

My second Sportive of my short cycling career saw me cycling 100 km around Kent. The day started at 7am with a rush to the window to check if 3 feet of snow had fallen overnight. Unfortunately it hadn't and I had no excuse but to have my porridge and cycle to the start.

I opened the front door after my breakfast just to see if it really was as cold as predicted and yes, it did feel like -7. I put on pretty much every item of lycra I owned a waddled off into the cold.

At this point, I will refrain from using the obvious puns linking the cold weather and the "Hell" aspect of the ride. If I don't see an article entitled "cold day in hell" then people are just not trying hard enough.

Anyway, I was in no hurry to get there as my start time was 10:30 which was pretty much the last group to go. The 18 miles took me ages as I was constantly on the look-out for ice and the easterly Siberian wind was in my face.

I got to the start and sorted everything out and was ready before my start time so I tried my luck and managed to get away at 10:15.

The first climb was only 2 miles in and was harsh so early in a ride. I settled in with a group of about 10 other riders and continued with them until the 2nd hill. I was at the back at the bottom but by the top, I was surprisingly in the lead so decided to push on. Maybe the training is working.

From this point on I was pretty much on my own. I saw some of the same people in front and behind for most of the rest of the race but I never got in a group which was not clever on a windy day.

The hardest hill came at about half way with a long drag up to the first feed stop. It think they call it The Wall. It was quite straight so seeing everyone else going up it was psychologically hard. It never got steep enough to be really tough but was a challenge.

The weather was very cold but manageable until sometime after lunch when the skies darkened, the temperate dropped and the snow fell. And it fell fast. Within 10 minutes there was a layer on the roads, my glasses were covered and I couldn't see very much. I tried taking them off but it was worse. A few riders bunched up and we played follow the leader at 6 mph for 30 minutes or so. It wasn't pleasant.

We were getting a bit worried because at the speeds we were going, we weren't going to get back to base before dark. Fortunately, the snow stopped and the sun came out and everyone sped up.

A few more hills and then about 5 miles of gentle back-roads back into the Charles Darwin School. Job done. I handed my timing chip in, got my certificate and cycled the 4 miles to my sister-in-laws house for a big dinner.

Totals
Distance: 89 miles
Climb: 7,500 feet
Time: 5:55:11
Average: 15:03 mph (given the 30 minutes crawling along in the snow and the wind, I'm really pleased)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good effort for so early in the season. Could have been a whole lot worse if the snow had arrived a few hours earlier!

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers. Good to get that under my belt. Yep, in a wierd sort of way, we were lucky with the weather. Snow like today and it would have been cancelled.

Unknown said...

Hi Simon, what a fun day that was! I was there too and enjoyed the eastern blizard; Ventoux can't be as bad, can it? All the best for your training; I am impressed by the miles you're clocking up... Best wishes, Simon Lewis

Clive Handy said...

Great training ride. Lets face it, last time the Etape went up Ventoux, they closed the climb due to the blizzard at the top. In July!

I hope you have a much warmer ride in the summer, and hope it continues to go well.

Unknown said...

Nice post. I cycled down the first hill to get to the HQ and nearly didn;t bother starting. But once i was over that first hill, I thought "I can do this" and I really enjoyed myself up until the first control. From then on the snow and wind took their toll.

Well done and good luck with L'Etape.

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers Simon, Data and Adrian. That's two sportives. Both miserable weather and I still enjoyed myself. I figure I'll be loving it when the sun comes out.

I must go and clean my bike!

Anonymous said...

My bikes still bearing the 'scars' of the ride, poor thing. She really should get cleaned soon :) Was a super ride, just a shame about the snow because that part from The Wall to Star Hill is a decent ride in the dry. In the snow it was rather horrid though. Sure I'll be there next year though :)