Sunday 15 February 2009

Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon


Back in 2002, the Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon was my first ever race. At the time, I was training for the London Marathon. I had only been training since mid-December 2001 and this was my longest ever run. It was a tough day and I was pleased with 2:23:38 although my overriding feeling was that there was no way I could run that distance twice.

Roll on seven years and I found myself again on the start line feeling nervous but with a whole lot of miles in my legs and experience under my belt. My mind was distracted by my friend Emma who was running her first marathon and was very nervous. In the end she needn't have worried as she romped home in under 2 hours. Fabulous for a first try on a difficult course.

The race started at 9;30 and I set off on my own. I had decided against music as I wanted to concentrate. The first 6 miles were ok with some ups but mostly slight down. The sting then came as a hill up to mile six and then a big hill from the 7.5 mile mark for about a mile. This section was my slowest with three miles at around 8:50 minute miling.



My biking and hill running really helped here and I reached to top of the hills in a good condition and was able to push on straight away.

I kept trying to recalculate if I could get in under 1:50 and I knew it would be close. I pushed on and really went for in in the last mile running in 7:25. I was delighted with the result of a 1:48. My third fastest half marathon. I felt tired but not destroyed and I could have gone a bit quicker, especially if I was running with someone a bit faster.


The Stats
Time: 1:48:24
Average Pace: 8:16 minute miles
Finishing Place: 695th
Total Finishers: 1614

This was a great race. Great value and really well organised. I would recommend it to anyone. I got a great medal, there was a good technical t-shirt worth although I didn't get mine and a Sainsburys goodie bag with drink, chocolate and shampoo.

No comments: