Sunday 21 September 2008

Almost a century

Up at 5:30 to eat breakfast and be out of the house at first light. At Ed's by 6:45 and then off to the Surrey Hills to follow a Kingston Wheelers route. It was mostly a route we had already done a few times but it replaced one short hill with two bigger ones.

I struggled from the word go with Ed moving ahead on every climb, even smaller ones. I think his fitness and confidence on a bike has really improved and I was suffering from the excesses of Friday night. He waited where necessary and I was ok on the flat. When it came to the two new hills, we was first up the first one but on the second, he realised he wasn't as good on the very steep sections and we both puffed and panted to the top. He also fell off after he stopped for a breather half way up a steep section. It looked very funny.

He was a minute ahead of me on Box Hill where we stopped to have tea. After the stop, we went round to do a second climb of Box Hill while I had to get home by 12 so didn't follow. I had to push quite a bit but was home by 12:10. 76 miles covered and more than 5500 feet climbed. All good.

I then had to take the family up to Clapham Common and then into central London on the London Freewheel. A slow ride but with Yvette on the back and 76 miles in my legs, it was hard work. 17 more miles and 93 in total. 1 mile short of the Autumn Epic but about 4000 feet short. Gulp.

No comments: