Sunday 14 September 2008

London Duathlon

I rode my first Duathlon today. It was the London Duathlon in Richmond Park. I did the Challenge course which was the longest option.
Run: 9km with a climb of 70m
Bike: 21.5km (2 laps) with a climb of 224m
Run: 4.7km with a climb of 32m

It was fabulous weather in Richmond Park and was warm by the time I got there at around 7:30 to get my chip and rack my back. I felt like a complete fish out of water wearing my usual running gear with my number pinned to the front compared to lots of skinny people in one piece lycra outfits and race number belts. I found out that belts are used as you have to wear your number on your front for the runs but on your back for the cycle.

I found a spot for my bike and tried to remember everything my friends Simon and Stephen had told me. Lay towel out, place on bike shoes and gloves and drink. Helmet on bike. Glasses out. All set. Check again. Walk away, Walk back and check again.

I walked to the start, watched the elite duathaletes go off and wait for my number to be called. You set off in waves of 10 every 20 seconds. I got going at around 9:30 and started the 9K run. My legs felt very heavy as I had 71 miles of cycling in them from yesterday and I took a bit to get going. I had no watch so I had no idea how fast I was going but it felt ok and I was passing people and few were passing me.

Transition 1 went ok. A little too long but I was out on the bike before too long. I had to keep telling myself that the transition was not a rest and I was still racing. The bike section was great fun and I was hunting down other riders and passing them. Apart from the hills I felt I was close to around 19-20 mph but looking at my time it seems I was more like 16mph average. I wasn't very happy about this.

The final 5K was tough as my legs were leaden after the cycle but by 2K I was speeding up and going for it. I'm sure the 5K was a negative split. I pushed to the end and I a nice medal for my toils.

It was a really great event that was both big and well run. I would definitly do it again.
Run1 00:45:03 (8:03 mm)
T1 00:03:01
Bike 00:47:12 (15.8 mph)
T2 00:02:04
Run2 00:24:06 (7:44 mm)
Time 02:01:25

No comments: