Sunday 7 September 2008

Surrey Badger Half Marathon

With very very heavy legs, I was out the door by 7:20 to cycle the 17 miles to Leatherhead. I thought I would get there in time but I arrived as hordes or runners were coming the other way, walking to the start. I quickly locked my bike, dumped my bag and put my number on. I got to the start line and realised I had 2 t-shirts on and I had not put vasaline on so my nipples so I wase going to suffer. I started and I felt very sluggish. If it had been a flat half I might have got into my stride and been ok but it turned out to be a wet, muddy, cross country, hilly half marathon. It was a struggle. By mile 8 I had nothing left. I was shuffling along like an old man with piles. I ended up walking at times and was feeling worse and worse. I was being passed by so many people, I forced myself to run all of the last mile. I can't remember ever wanting the finish line to come so much. I finished in 2:09 which is terrible by my recent standards.

No comments: