Sunday 28 June 2009

Chute, Auger, Beef-it or Biff

auger - to involuntarily take samples of the local geology, usually with one's face, during a crash.
beef it - to fall or crash.
biff - a crash "I biffed and then wiped away the blood."
chute - French for fall
wipeout - finish riding early

Yes, after 13 months on the bike, I finally lost my battle with gravity and came off at the Dartmoor Classic.

Back to Saturday and I left London around 9, picked up Ed and drove the 220 miles to Moretonehampstead in Devon where my Dad lives. I wanted to watch the rugby with him so it was straight off to the pub. Not a great result but it was nice watching it with my Dad. It was then off to register which didn't take long.

Early to bed and then up at 5:30 for breakfast and a drive to the start in Kingsteignton. Ed and I had discussed the possibility of getting a gold. It was sub 6:35 for the 104 miles to get a gold and we thought we could average the 15.9 mph even with the 3,300 meters of ascent. We started well averaging over 20 mph for the first 7 miles. We were in a largish group what were fast but very aggressive. Coming down a hill it was clear they were risk takers as they came on the outside of us on the wrong side of the road approaching a bend as they wanted to go faster.

Minutes later we went from a down hill to a small uphill. Everyone out the saddle to make it over the hill without loosing speed. Suddenly I saw a very slow rider right in front of me. I quickly looked to my right to move out but I was boxed in. I shouted but no one moved. The next thing I know I clip the slow rider and I'm down followed by another rider on top of me. It all happened so quickly. We all get up and check ourselves. I have a hole in my knee and elbow but nothing seems broken. The slow bloke on the bike is fine and the guy who fell on me is also fine. His front wheel is bent but usable and my left break lever is really bent. I count my chickens knowing it could have been worse.

I was very wobbly and slow for a while. My descending was also slow and nervy and once the adrenaline wore off, my knee and elbow really hurt. Ed was a star and stayed with me. We took it slow for a while but then I got a bit quicker. Gold was gone so silver would be great and bronze ok. No medal would be very annoying.

We were going ok until Ed had his event mechanical and punctured. It didn't take long and we were back doing 20 on the flat. I had a real low after about 60 miles as it was raining again (forecast was for sun, we had no sun all day) and I was sore. Also, last week's 150 miler was definitely in my legs and the climb out of Tavistick to Prince Town felt long.

A short stop in the feed stop and then I knew it wasn't too hilly before passing my Dad's house. As we were late, he'd been waiting outside his house for hours. I was very pleased to see him and enjoyed his flapjack. He had been very worried after seeing an air ambulance fly over.

Spirits lifted, it was up the final climb before a 3 mile down hill and a 10 mile blast on the flat. Ed was storming along at 27 on the flat and I was hanging onto his wheel for dear life. It was real fun flashing past people but the finish line was very welcome.

A huge thanks to the St. Johns ambulance who washed out my knee. I was there first business of the day. Thanks to the mechanics who tweaked the front changer as the lever was bent and not changing well. Thanks also to the organisers for a great ride, superb marshals and a lovely piece of granite as a memento. Oh and we got bronze. No crash would have meant silver. Gold was just too much after the Dave Lloyd. Next Year.

Stats
Distance: 105 miles (169 kms)
Ride Time: 6:38
Total Time: 7:29
Award: Bronze
Max Speed: 46.6 mph
Ascent: 10,158 feet (3,100 meters)
Average Cadence: 78
Nutrition: High5 4:1 (4 bottles), Torq (1 bottle), Nuun tablets (2), Gels (2), Ride Shots (2 packs), Viper Bar (1) and Flapjack (1).
Calories Used: 5,454 (MapMyRide estimate)

6 comments:

Red Bike said...

Glad you survived your first crash relatively unhurt.

16mph over a 100mile route with 3000m of climbing is really going some!

Iain McC said...

Good to hear you are ok. Was a bit concerned on seeing the title of your piece as there was a nasty looking accident coming off the moor after Princetown on the way back. Some of the corners were very slipeery in the wet.

It was a slog of a day, hopefully better weather for the Etape.

kate said...

that's still a pretty impressive time, all things considered-well done. i'm so pleased that the crash wasn't serious and hasn't effected your etape goal :)

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks Red, Iain and Kate. Still sore and a bit battered but ok. I'm just glad I'm fine for 3 weeks time.

Iain, yeah I heard 2 people were air lifted to hospital. There were some fast descents, tight corners and the rain did make it greasy.

Karen Popplewell said...

Well done Simon - I found it to be very draining to do sportives on consecutive weekends so well done on such a good time despite the crash.
20 days to go!

Lost Sheep said...

You did great, especially after the crash as that'll have put the fear of god in you for a while.

Well done!