Sunday 7 June 2009

Wet , long and hilly

In spite of my nerves, I completed a good long ride today. It didn't go exactly to plan as the first half of the ride took longer than expected and I realised I couldn't safely complete the full route and get home for 5pm. So I had to say goodbye to Ed at just over half way as he manfully did the full course and got the train home where as I went off and did a different route and rode home. I did 107 instead of 130 miles and about 11,000 feet ascent instead of the 14,000 or 15,000 for the full course and I made it home for 4:30pm.

I was annoyed I didn't finish the full route but its still a good ride and all good training. I'll find a way to do that extra 23 miles and 3,000 feet this week.

Positive:
Another century completed. My fifth century of the year
Over 11,000 feet of climb
Rode well up the hills
Felt good until about 70 miles
Had two GO gels and thought they were ok
Got to cycle with Clive for the first time
Rain jacket is waterproof

Negative:
Didn't finish the 130 mile route
Missed out on 4 or 5 big hills
Knee hurt more as the ride went on
Was very tired as I rode the last few miles
It was miserable and wet for most of the ride

4 comments:

Red Bike said...

You're disapointed because you 'only' did 107 miles with 11,000ft of climbing? That still sounds like one heck of a ride to me.

Congratulations on another century.

Simon Lewis said...

I know. I was saying this to someone this weekend. I've come a long way when I'm dissapointed with 107 miles. I think its mainly because my mate Ed who I ride with did the full course and he's already better than me.

Anonymous said...

Hey simon your better than me will that count and make u feel better?
You asked me how my training was going hope you got to hear it on Brandon's podcast. Late last year i ran my fastest 10k @ 1hr 6min i was on top of the world (treadmill)and was happy with that. This year it's been a real struggle @ 1hr 20ish. Just havn't been able to improve. I got injured on hols in May and had to rest. Just started back Did a slow 5k on Monday. Last night i decided to try for a fast 10k. Got to 5 and was tired had a sports drink and found i had a fast last 5 in me. Did it in the best ever 1hr03:18 must admit it nearly killed me but what a buz. I did it on the treadmill though. I'm going to start small run's outdoors on the weekends last time i tried i got injured.
One ride and you did 107miles WOW that is so cool thats 172.2klm I'm in awe.
Regards
Trea

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks Trea. Keep going with the training. It will seem like you are not improving and then all of a sudden, you'll go out one day and take 4 or 5 minutes off your time. Running is funny like that. I expect you'll get the sub hour 10k in the next couple of months, no problem.