Thursday 18 June 2009

Cycles Dauphin

Today I went to Box Hill to visit Cycles Dauphin for my bike fitting appointment. I had previously had to cancel it because my daughter Yvette got chicken pox. They were very good about it and just arranged another date for me.

I'd didn't really know what to expect from the session. For £70 I would get a couple of hours with Stuart and receive the sum of his cycling wisdom. I could have paid more and gone to CycleFit or another company for a more HiTech version but I wanted more of a personal touch (and it was cheaper). The main thing I wanted was to get rid of my knee and quad pain. I have been stretching, using the foam roller and having sports massage for a couple of months now and the pain wasn't going away much so I needed to rule out the bike as a cause.

Firstly, I talked myself into a new pair of shoes. I didn't really need them but my dhb shoes were a year old and looking like they were older. I started with a budget of £100 which moved to £150 and then to a pair of white 2009 Sidi road shoes. They were lovely. Then I was shown a pair of last years Ergo 2s. They were basically the same as this years Ergo 2 which are the top of the range at £250 but these were cheaper. Gulp. I have no will power and said yes but they do look good.



Next it was the fitting. My bike was put on the turbo trainer and we spent the next 90 minutes looking at my position, measuring, changing things and seeing how it felt. My seat was about the right height but it was too far forward. It was put back and more power was then being sent down through the pedals. I got to use my natural advantage - big thighs.

Then the cleat position was sorted. Stuart noted that my heels do come up when I pedal but its a common problem. I'll try to concentrate on keeping them down. He then said that my reach to the bars was too far, especially given my inflexible back, my seat being further back and my long dipping bars. We exchange the bars for flatter, shorter ones which really helped. He did suggest a shorter stem but said that it shouldn't be changed yet. Given the 150 miles I have to ride on Sunday, too much change might result in a painful 11 hours as I get used to the new position.

So with new tape added to the new bars, I was all set. After paying (so much for my savings) I cycled the 20 miles home and the new position felt odd but good. Its hard to say as my knee pain comes and goes but it felt really good. Sunday will be the true test. My shoes felt good but the right one was pinching. I'm prepared to put it down to them being new or that I had them too tight.

Apart from a flat on the way home, it was a good day. I have to say what a superb shop Cycles Dauphin is. Stuart could not have been nicer and would have spent all day sorting my bike out had he needed too. He also seemed to really know his stuff without being pompous. He never once made me feel like I was an idiot for riding on my current setup for 12 months. The shop is also well stocked with some beautiful bikes and all the gear you could need. If you live anywhere near the shop, please use it. You won't find a more helpful bunch anywhere.

3 comments:

kate said...

disco slippers-nice ;)
hope the subtle changes help your knee pain. it'll be interesting to see how much difference it does make after the bigger rides

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Will be interesting to see how u go on your ride on Sunday. The shoes look great good luck with the new bike setup.
Regards
Trea

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks. I did 30 yesterday to get used to the new position. It still feels a little odd but I think it is easier on my knees. I do have concerns about the shoe or my right foot. The left is great, very confy and snug in the new Sidis but the I'm getting a pinching sensation in my right foot across the ball of my foot. I need to play around with the tightness. Maybe that is the problem. Or it might be that they are very new.