Tuesday 30 June 2009

The final leg

So that's it. All my events done. That's eleven this year with the ultimate goal still to do. In 20 days I shall be on my bike somewhere along the route. Its all suddenly got very real.

The aims of the next three weeks are:
  • Stay healthy
  • Rest
  • Keep the legs turning over but not too many miles
  • Sleep lots
  • Keep weight stable or even lose weight
  • Finalise trip details

I have three weeks to keep active and stay focused without doing anything too much. Most studies say that you can't really improve your fitness in the last two or three weeks. Resting or reducing the level of exercise will actually allow your body to adapt to all the work its been put through. Keep the intensity, reduce the distance is the mantra.

After reading Karen's excellent blog, I'm glad its not just me who is starting to go a little nuts. The combination of excitement, nerves, nothing to focus on other than the main event and less than 20 days to go is starting to get to me. I never enjoyed tapering when doing marathons and I think this is going to be worse.

Still, I do have work to do to keep me on track and a lot of details to sort out for the journey down there. I'll be sad when its all over.

5 comments:

Red Bike said...

Having read your last few blog entries I think you'll easily manage it.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

You will do great, your done the hard yards and your ready. Put it all together have your mind set and know we are all behind you.
Regards
Trea

kate said...

so does that mean no bread for the next few weeks ;)

Karen Popplewell said...

Simon, what will be your next major cycling challenge do you think? I know just what you mean about being sad when it's over and I'm already starting to think about 2010. I think Fred Whitton for definite and maybe the Marmotte.
For 2011, I'm considering Paris-Brest-Paris! and perhaps LEJOG.
What about you?

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks a lot Red and Trea.

Kate - Errr, no. I can't kick the toast habbit.

Karen - We have been talking about it. I want to do the Fred with no mechanicals and get up Hardknott in one go. I want to do the Dartmoor without crashing. We've talked of the Marmotte or the Etape again if its Alpe D'Huez. LEJOG is being kept for my 40th birthday in 3 years. I'm also considering an Iron Man. Not sure I'll when I will fit it all in given my life of luxury is about to end.