Tuesday 28 July 2009

What now?

So life has returned to normal. No Le Tour on the telly, no planning for a trip to France and no worrying how I'm going to get a century ride in at the weekend.

Its been great fun telling everyone about the Etape. I think people have been genuinely interested. When I ran marathons, people were interested but not that impressed. Most people know someone who has run a marathon but the Etape is something a bit different. It does feel like I've done something very unique which is really pleasing.

I now need to refocus and plan for something else. I don't know what I want to do next. I did think the Etape would be a one off event but I enjoyed it so much that I want to do it again. Also, because the route is always different, it is always a new challenge.

So I will wait until October and see what the route will be. If its Alpe D'Huez, I will struggle to resist. It is so iconic and I did it when I was in my late teens on a family holiday and I have fond memories. Also, if I qualify as a teacher in 2010 and get a job, the Etape is right at the end of summer term so there is a good chance I will not be able to do it after next year.

I don't think I will be free to do the Marmotte so the other option is an organised cycling holiday. I'd like to do more than one days cycling if I'm going all the way to the South of France. I'd also like to try and see some of the Tour next year.

In the shorter term, I'll be running again. I aim to stick to short stuff over the next few months and then build to a spring marathon. I don't have one in mind. I'd actually love to run the London Marathon but I didn't enter so I might choose one of the Endurance Life coastal runs or the new Brighton marathon. I'm trying to get my brother to do it with me.

This year's goals
Start running again over the summer
Have a go at some of my PBs
Take part in the Moose on the Loose 10 miler in the US
Complete the Autumn Epic cycle quicker than last year

2010 goals
Do a spring marathon
Find a big cycling challenge for the summer (Marmotte, Etape etc.)

1 comment:

Red Bike said...

Best of luck with the running tonight.

- I hope your legs don't hurt as much tomorrow as mine currently do.