Sunday 5 April 2009

Cyclist or Runner?

I have been asking myself recently, am I a runner or am I a cyclist? What would I like people to know me as? What would I like to be best at given the choice? It was playing on my mind during the duathlon last Saturday.

Whilst I know I don't actually have to choose, people like to pigeon-hole you. Most runners don't want to know about cycling and most cyclists think running is a waste of time (generalisation, I know). Only the tri boys and girls like to talk about both and given that I don't swim, I'm not part of their world.

So, given the amount of money and time I am putting into cycling this past 6 months and at least the 5 months to come, it might be surprising that I have come to the conclusion that I am a runner first and a cyclist second. Here are my reasons:

1. Fulfilment
When I'm cycling, and specifically during the Epic and Ashdown rides, there were moments of pure joy. Getting to the top of Glascwm at the Epic, coming down the final hill at 40 mph, passing people up 'The Wall' at the Ashdown. All superb. But the sense of achievement, whilst strong, is fleeting. I don't feel that I've completed something really big. Running 21 miles however, stays with me for ages. Whilst I don't get big thrills during the running race itself, the feeling after is so strong. I'm still amazed that I can do it and I get such a sense of achievement.

2. Difficulty

If you are a serious cyclist you might want to cover your ears but I think in general, running is harder than cycling. OK, so there are lost of different types of running and cycling and I know I haven't tackled the really hard riding yet (Fred, Dave Lloyd, Etape) but I think its true. I think its the freewheeling (stay with me....). For me, you are either running or your not. Walking is not running. When I run 21 miles I run for the entire 3+ hours. But on a bike, people freewheel all the time. You can rest whilst still making progress (this makes more sense in my head, sorry).

3. Faffing
I don't think I will get over the level of messing about there is before, during and after a cycle. The amount of gear you have to get ready and carry with you does annoy me. Especially as I am a faffer anyway. It takes me 10 minutes to get ready for any run but not so for riding. Then there is the repair equipment just in case there is a flat and then the cleaning at the end. For the Meon Valley Plod, the biggest headache was regular shoes or XC shoes and actually, either would have done.

4. Stopping
I can't get my head around feed stations on rides. I know you don't have to stop and nutrition is vital but stopping for a chat is common place and part of cycling. That's cool but it seems odd coming from a running perspective. During a running race, if you stop at a water station or marshal point for more than a minute, people start asking if you are injured and do you need a ride back to the start.

5. Cost
Over £2500 for cycling so far in the last 12 months. £120 on running.

Many of you (as if thousands read this) will disagree with a lot of this especially the difficulty points. Others might point to my 6 years as a runner and only 9 months as a cyclist and they have a valid point. These are just my deranged thoughts after 4 hours of running and cycling on Saturday. When it boils down to it, I'm just pleased I don't have to choose and I can run and ride a lot.

6 comments:

Kyle Schneider said...

Awesome blog. I could not agree more. I run and cycle as well, and find that running is much more taxing on the body, and the recovery is a lot longer. My HRM is always high when running, but when I cycle the freewheeling definitely helps my heart rate. Keep them coming.

kate said...

interesting conclusion and i probably agree on a lot of points. i find it hard to decide if i'm a road runner playing at fell running or a mountain biker dabbling in road riding....like you said the best thing is it doesn't as long as you're out there.

Iain McC said...

Are you really comparing like with like ?

A sportive is not a race - try stopping to shoot the shxt in a cycle road race or TT and see how many other competitors are happy to do that.

For me the appeal of the sportive is that it is primarily an endurance event where people of varied abilities are able to set and achieve their own goals; completing the course, silver standard or gold standard etc.

Sounds like you are happy doing both running and cycle sportives and each seem to set you different challenges.

Rgds

Simon Lewis said...

I'm glad this provoked a few comments. Thanks Kyle. Glad you enjoy the blog. Iain, I know what you mean, its hard to compare two sports. And yes, its a great point. The different challenge is what got me cycling in the first place. If it was like running, I'd probably just run.

Anonymous said...

FWC is as tough as a marathon, DLC will be tougher. If they're not, then you're not riding hard enough ;-)..

Simon Lewis said...

We'll see in 25 days but I expect you are right. I am starting to get nervous after reading some of the Lakeland Loop blog posts.