Monday 6 April 2009

Hills, hills and more hills

With one daughter off on a school trip to Italy and my wife and other daughter in Lanzorote, there was only one thing for me to do, paint the house. But I decided to put that off and go cycling instead. My mate Ed took some time off work and we set off to Devon on Thursday for four days of cycling in the hills.

We stayed with my Dad in Moretonhampstead which is on the doorstep of Dartmoor. The plan was to get there at lunchtime on the Thursday and go straight out for a short ride. We got there in plenty of time so it was lycra on and out the door. We rode along the B3212 to Two Bridges which is a tough way to start; 1,200 feet in 5 miles. We turned left down to Widecombe where we met a couple of very big hills before we ran down to Bovey. Then it was up the main road back home. 34 miles and we knew we were in hilly Devon. We were then treated to a great dinner at Bovey Castle by my Dad and his partner Julie. Fish and chips followed by rice pudding. Yum.

Friday was the biggest day with a century planned. Like with the rest of the rides, speed was never a consideration; it was all about the distance and the hills. We set off in great weather again riding out on the B3212 before turning south to Widecombe. Then Ashburton, Totnes, Beesands, Kingsbridge, Ivybride, towards Yelverton and then on the Princetown road all the way home (if anyone wants the routes then I can send them to you as .GPX files).

This was a triumph for both of us. Ed's first century and my second in 7 days. It had more climbing than either of us had ever done in a day and more than all our planned rides other than the Dave Lloyd which is only slightly more and the Etape.

Saturday's route was designed so that I could visit my mum for lunch. She lives in Yealmpton, 30 miles from Moretonhampstead. So, it was back up the now familiar hills towards Princetown but it was not the peaceful day we had thought it was. Up on the moor is was blowing a gale with winds whipping off the moor and making the bike very twitchy. On hills where I had gone 40 mph the day before, I was struggling to get to 20. It was very slow progress. We finally turned south off the moor and out of the wind towards Dousland and then going cross country until we reached Plympton. It was then a short hop over the A38. We were treated to a nice lunch and a fantastic Rhubarb Crumble. It was then back on the bike to do the journey in reverse but with more than half the climbing still to do and a stomach full of food. It was hard work but mercifully, the wind had dropped.

Sunday was always down as a flexible day. We knew we would go out but had no real idea how far to go. Neither of us were on our last legs but we were tired and new that it would be hard work. We decided on a 40 mile route to Tavistock and back. My Dad had said that the road from Tavistock to Princetown was pretty much up hill for about 6 miles. This was the kind of hill we came for as there is nothing like that in Surrey.

I quickly realised I was very tired and Ed was much less so as I struggled up the now familiar hills out of Moretonhampstead up to the moor. Ed quickly had a sizable lead but there was nothing I could do. Anyway, I was slow but really enjoying myself as it was lovely and sunny and I was climbing very smoothly. Ed waited at a couple of spots and we made it to Tavistock in around 2 hours. Having freewheeled into Tavistock, I knew the climb I had to do and whilst I was not quick, I was comfortable and never once felt I was getting into trouble.

All in all, it was a brilliant few days, really good training and a lot of fun. I need to take a few days off and have an easy weekend over Easter as I have heavy, stiff legs but I'm sure I will reap the rewards of this in the weeks to come.

STATS

Thursday
Distance: 34.40
Time: 2:17:29
Average Speed: 15.01 mph
Ascent: 4,274
Max Speed: 41.4 mph
Average Heart Rate: Not recorded
Calories: 1,670
Weather: Sunny, 15 degrees, little wind
Nutrition: PSP22 (1 bottle), High5 4:1 (1 bottle), 1 nut bar

Friday
Distance: 103.2
Time: 7:08:17
Average Speed: 14.46 mph
Ascent: 11,451
Max Speed: 48.7 mph
Average Heart Rate: 135 (73% max)
Calories: 5,203
Weather: Sunny, 16 degrees, little wind
Nutrition: PSP22 (2 bottles), High5 4:1 (2 bottles), 1 Power bar, 1 Viper, 1 nut bar, 1 cheese scone

Saturday
Distance: 60.86
Time: 4:26:36
Average Speed: 13.8 mph
Ascent: 7,601
Max Speed: 44.5 mph
Average Heart Rate: Not recorded
Calories: 2,572
Weather: Cloudy, 10 degrees, strong winds in the morning
Nutrition: PSP22 (2 bottles), half a nut bar, lunch half way

Sunday
Distance: 41.59
Time: 2:53:26
Average Speed: 14.39 mph
Ascent: 5,183
Max Speed: 43.6 mph
Average Heart Rate: 127 (69% max)
Calories: 2,107
Weather: Sunny, 16 degrees, little wind
Nutrition: Half a nut bar and 1 bottle PSP22 (weak)

Totals
Distance: 240.1 miles
Time: 16 hours 42 minutes
Calories: 11,552
Ascent: 28,509 feet (8,690 meters)

No comments: