Tuesday 14 April 2009

Injury

Well it had to happen eventually. I've been injury free for over 18 months so I was almost expecting something to go wrong before the Etape.

I ran 14 miles yesterday and for the first 11 miles I was really enjoying it. I ran from home to Richmond Park and then ran the 7 mile trail around the edge. It was going really well but then I could feel my quads on a couple of the hills. I stopped to stretch but it came back as soon as I ran again. I stopped as soon as I got back to the car park where I was meeting my family. I had originally planned to run 16 but I was in some discomfort.

I stretched for a while and then felt ok so went for a walk with my family. My legs were still a little sore but nothing too bad. I stretched again in the evening and went to bed. This morning, the first thing I thought as I woke was "Oooh, my quads are tight". Then walking to the bathroom, I knew it wasn't good. It felt at least as bad as the morning after a marathon. My thighs are shot.

So I'll stretch on and off all day and I have a sport massage booked so I'll ask her advice. I might go to the gym tonight and do more stretching as well as some core and upper body weights.

I am worried about this. It does seem that there is an underlying problem. I hope its nothing more serious than tight ITB, quads and adductor. I don't know if its better or worse that its both legs. I guess its just rest and stretching for a few days and then reassess.

Oh and I also have a cold and I got a really big blister from the run, my first blister in a long time. I am going to retire my trainers. I have three pair that I rotate and they have all done between 300 and 500 miles. I already have one brand new pair and I've just got another from ebay.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Simon, I missed two weeks with a cold; back on the bike now and "enjoying" some steep climbs around Pendle in Lancashire. But last week I was coughing my guts up! I guess this is going to happen to all of us! Hope you'll be back on your bike soon. Simon

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks Simon. Its pretty miserable. I feel my fitness is disappearing each day and my belly returning. I hope to get out on Sunday for a gentle ride to test the quads out. I just have to make sure I'm ok by Fred Whitton and trust that whatever fitness I've got so far is enough.

Unknown said...

I guess the obvious thing is to take it easy coming back! My first two rides were rough but I think the base fitness isn't lost for many weeks and my third ride felt quite good. For me, being the "old" Simon Lewis at 46, the anxiety of not being able to cycle and work towards July is almost as hard as the 18% I went up! I just want to finish on the 20th! Hope the quads recover very quickly. Simon

downsey said...

Simon, your trip to the south west sounded great. I don't know how you manage to run and cycle. I tried this last year and ended-up ill prepared for the Etape. This year I have no choice, can't run so the cycling is coming on fine. There's one of our group - Thomo who is still running and cycling but he isn't doing the sort of distances you are doing. It's your call but I'd ease off on the distance.... all the best, Peter

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers Simon. Yeah, my left thigh feels ok now but my right is still a little sore. Its tempting to go for a ride this weekend but I should probably wait until its all good. Downsey, I'm pretty sure it isn't the running/cycling combo that injured me. It was primarily not stretching enough. I felt my ITB and quad were both tight weeks ago but presumed it was just tired legs from riding. I'm terrible at stretching and core work.

kate said...

you're probably right about the cycling/running combo-you definitely need to stretch a LOT. not something i'm good at either. it's so boring! hope you get the all clear soon

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers Kate. I've decided to go to the gym tomorrow. I find I stretch for much longer on the mats. I'll do some dull dull core work and upper body weights. At least it will stop me eating the kids easter eggs for a couple of hours.

John Sutton said...

I always find that I can usually cycle if I have a running related injury - in fact it often aids recovery for me. A gentle ride can clear out all the nasties from heavy training. Good luck with the recovery. See you at the Fred.

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers John. I'll probably go out tomorrow for a ride. Maybe 20 slow miles to see how I feel.