Saturday 25 April 2009

Weekend Report

Friday night was my poker night with friends. Its never about the poker, just the great company. I didn't drink as I was driving and giving lifts to 3 people and I avoided eating the pizza. However, I did forget about my current diet restriction and tucked into the garlic bread. Whoops!!! I got home at 2am which wasn't best but I had a great time.

Next morning, I woke at 8am very tired. At 9am our new flat pack shelves arrived and Cath wanted me to make them before I went out on the bike and as usual with this type of thing, it takes much longer than you think. Anyway, I got out at 11:30 at headed off to Surrey.

I initially thought I didn't have enough clothes on as I was cold but once I got going, I warmed up a little and then the sun came out a bit more and I was fine. I did my usual route to Box Hill and then came back taking in several other hills, doing little loops to make the most of the ride. My legs were fine on the flat and ok when climbing out of the saddle but I did feel a little discomfort when climbing seated. I was careful and didn't push too hard so got through it ok.

In total, I did 87.2 miles in 5 hours 30 minutes. I really wanted to do over 100 miles but it was felling very hard towards the end and I was glad when it was over but given how I was 10 days ago, I'm delighted.

On Sunday, we had a family party for my wife's aunt who is 75 and visiting from Los Angeles. It was at my sister-in-laws who lives near Bromley so I set off early on the bike and got in some miles before arriving at the party at 12:40. My wife and daughters were already there. I got some funny looks as I walked through the garden dressed in Lycra so I quickly retrieved my clothes my wife had brought, had a shower and got changed.

After the party I rode home to finish off doing over 50 miles which was great. This weekend has been really good and got me right back on track. My mate Ed wasn't had such good luck with terrible food poisoning. I hope he's back on the bike soon.

3 comments:

kate said...

good news and still no bread ;)

Kyle Schneider said...

Simon...Glad to hear you had such a great weekend of riding. It sounds like your recovery is spot on!

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks guys. Legs are a little sore today but its a rest day so just some stretching. Fingers crossed but I think I'm over the worst of it now.