Tuesday 7 April 2009

Pictures from Devon

I took a moment to stop and look at the view on the 6 mile climb from Tavistock to Princetown. This was the longest climb we rode and was perfect training for Mont Ventoux.


The top of the moor was bleak but very striking. The weather helped a lot. Apart from Saturday when it was blowing a gail, we had sun and little wind. Very lucky.

Ed beat me up the hill by such a distance that he had time to make a phone call!!!!

Just ahead, the road dipped steeply and is where we recorded our fastest speeds. 48.6 mph has my fastest. The second and third time we decended here, we were a little more tired and more timid and only got to about 42 mph. We'd have liked to get over 50 mph but there is a bend in the road which made it a little hairy.
Ed crests one of the many climbs. About 30,000 feet of climbs in 4 days.

2 comments:

kate said...

48mph! i'm such a chicken, my top speed is only 37. must be hard trying to train for big mountain climbs. whats the longest climb in the uk that you've done?

Simon Lewis said...

Its fun but then a thought goes through your head that says "a front puncture now and you are in real trouble". The older I get the more worried I become.

I think the 6 miles in Devon is about the longest. 2 miles is the longest down here in Surrey. I just have to go up and down it all day. :-)