Monday 4 May 2009

Dull Long Ride

With only 6 days until the Fred Whitton and my leg injury still hanging around, this weekend's long ride was going to have to be light. I would have liked to do in on Saturday but my wife had taken her Mum and Aunt to Glasgow for some family tree research so I couldn't go out on Saturday and Sunday because of the girls. I did go to the gym for an hour on Saturday when they were at dance class.

So I went out today. I had decided that I would do a decent distance but take out the hills. That way I would try and avoid aggravating my injury and I wouldn't kill my legs for the weekend. I knew that a lot of the clubs round here go down to Windsor for flatter runs so I mapped out a route to follow.

I headed to Kingston and then towards Walton. Then it was on to Chertsey and then Stains. The route was flat but it was on main roads so it wasn't a fun ride. I did get my speed up and was pleased to see the computer saying over 20mph more often than not. I could watch my average speed climb on a long stretch only to see it plummet when I stopped at roundabouts and junctions and to look at my map.

I was on course until I missed a turn into Windor Great Park (my only green section) and ended up stuck on a duel carriageway going north. I went over the M4 but in my stubborn way, decided to plow on and find a way back West. Luckily, I did see a sign for the A4 London and followed it. This took me right past Heathrow next to 747s taking off which was cool.

It had rained a couple of times and cycling on the flat in traffic is very dull so I headed home. My plan was between 70 and 80 miles so when I got into London and headed down the King's Road with 66 miles on the clock, I knew I'd have to make a detour to get in the desired mileage. So I sent into Battersea Park and did a lap of that before arriving home at 70.26 miles.

Stats
Distance: 70.26 miles
Time: 4:06:15
Average: 17.12 mph (I'd love to know what it would have been without the traffic)
Max Speed: 31.9 mph
Calories: 3615
Nutrition: 1 Cliff Bar and 1 bottle of High5 4:1

2 comments:

Lost Sheep said...

Hope the injury isn't causing too many problems.

Your average is good considering all the stops and slowing down needed to navigate etc.

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks. Its certainly on the mend. I've just had another sports massage and was told that my legs are so much looser than they were three weeks ago. I had a knot in my right quad that she has worked out (at great pain) and my extensive stretching between massages has really helped. So fingers crossed.

As for the average; yeah, its amazing how much stopping at traffic lights kills it. I need to have a go at a time trial so I can see what I'm capable of.