Sunday 17 May 2009

Quiet Week

After the Fred I wanted to give my legs a rest so I haven't done anything too serious this week. I did a couple of short rides and my first run since the 14 miles that ended with injury. I am out of practice and my legs weren't moving smoothly but I got 5 miles done without major discomfort. I've got two weeks until the Brussels 20K run so I have to get some running in.

I plan to work harder next week. Running or cycling on everyday from Monday to Thursday, rest on Friday and then a very long ride on Saturday. Ed is planning it and I think he has a very hilly route in mind and about 120 - 130 miles. I hope he waits for me!!!

On a separate note, I just want to express my outrage at the selfish idiots that jeopardise people's safety at the Etape de Caledonia today. If you don't know the story, the Caledonia sportive is the only ride in this country with completely closed roads. Some of the locals have taken objection to this and protested at last years event and set up a pressure group to try and get the ride cancelled. Whilst I defend their right to protest, someone has decided to take direct action and spread carpet tacks onto the road. Many riders got punctures and I believe some came off. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8054215.stm

A friend of mine, Stephen, did the ride and completed it. It was his first sportive and loved it in spite of the 50 minute delay due to the tacks. I hope he has the bug now.

No comments: