Sunday 24 May 2009

Flying caterpillars and other insects

Saturday was a lovely day and we had nothing much planned so I went out at 9:30 for a long ride. I had no real plan other than to do at least a century and try and make it hilly.

I did my 10 mile route to Richmond Park, one lap and then out through Kingston towards the Surrey Hills. I arrived at the first real hill with about 30 miles on the clock and needed to start working hard. So, each hill I came to or went near to I did. Up the first hill and then down a hill in the wrong direction just so I could go up it again. Then down and up the next and so on. I was doing well and feeling ok as I went down another hill only to pass Ed who was coming the other way. He was in his own world and only just realised it was me. He tried to persuade me to come on his insanely hilly course which a reluctantly agreed to.

He pointed us in the directions of all the nasty hills in the area and it was hard going. For some reason, I was not enjoying it. It didn't seem that fun and I found in quite monotonous. Maybe still an anticlimax after the Fred. What didn't help were the bugs. There were hundreds of flies which stuck to sweaty arms and legs as well as flying in to open mouths. I prefer my protein via different sources. There were also the caterpillars. I did not know they could hang all the way down from trees to road level and then get caught on passing cyclists. Its quite unnerving to be riding at 35mph down a hill to suddenly find a caterpillar crawling in your glasses.

Anyway, purely by accident, Ed went left as I went straight-on (he has the Garmin) so I texted him to say I'd try and meet up with him later but if not, I'd do my own thing. So I did another hill where I thought he might pass but nothing so I headed for Dorking. There is a great long hill here that I did twice before going to Box Hill. I had done over 84 miles and over 8,000 feet ascent so I went home. I put some fast tunes on the iPod and actually enjoyed the blast through Epsom to Surbiton. I averaged over 22 mph and was really going for it, feeling the good burn in my legs. Maybe I am just sick of hills :-(

Stats
Distance: 106.15
Time: 6:55:10
Average Speed: 15.34 mph
Max Speed: 41.9 mph
Ascent: 9,053 feet
Average Cadence: 80
Average Heart Rate: 142 bpm (77%)
Nutrition: Clif Bar (1), Power Bar with Caffeine (1), Flapjack (1), High5 drink (2 bottles), Water (2 bottles), Lucazade Hydro (1 bottle).

No comments: