Wednesday 13 May 2009

More thoughts on the Fred

Stats
Distance: 112 miles
Ride Time: 7:43:25
Average Speed: 14.5
Actual Time: 8:53:12
Average Speed: 12.6
Ascent:Ascent: 14,397
Calories: 6,000

We were 664th and 665th out of 955 finishers.
Fastest Rider: 5:46 (that's an incredible 19.4mph average)
Slowest Rider: 12:58
So an hour off our time (very doable) would have put us 368th. Blimey.

Average Heart Rate: 150bpm.
I think the heart rate is wrong as it lost the signal a few times and also read that I was at 240 bmp on several occasions. Whilst I think I hit a new high on Hardknott, I don't think it was 240.

Nutrition: Gels (2), Go Bar (2), Clif Bar (1), Clif Blocks (1), Viper Bar (1), Malt Loaf Slice (2), Cheese Roll (1) and High5 4:1 Bottle (4).

Extra mileage: 4.35 miles to and 4.35 miles from the B&B to the start. Total of 120.7 miles.

Me on Saturday at the start of Hardknott Pass.

Wilf's cafe made a fantastic bean stew for the finishers. I think it was the same bean stew we had after the Autumn Epic and it tasted just perfect. The tea was also fantastic. As usual at the end of these hard events, I temporarily loose my sweet tooth and didn't fancy the free shortbread.

We had a nice meal at a pub on the Sunday night. Ed had rabbit stew and I had game pie. Ed followed it with apple pie and I had creme caramel. I did like it but I was too tired to really enjoy it. Even by breakfast the next morning, I wasn't with-it enough to appreciate my food. I had a small fried breakfast where as Ed had double everything as well as a mountain of food on the train. I'm sure I'll do my share of eating in the days to come.

Its Wednesday morning and I'm still totally exhausted but nothing really hurts. My legs are a little stiff but its nothing life after a marathon. But I'm so drained and now so hungry. I'm trying to fill up with good food like chicken and other protein rather than junk but its hard.

I'm going to try and get out a couple of times before the weekend and then do a medium ride of maybe 50 miles at the weekend. I also need to do a run or two as my next event is the Brussels 20k and whilst I don't expect to do brilliantly, I want to put a performance in as there will be loads of friends watching me. I've just got to be careful with the legs.

4 comments:

Lost Sheep said...

That sounds mighty tough. Your stats were good, but you seem not 100% happy with them? You think you could've done better?

Simon Lewis said...

Its a floor of mine. I'm usually dissatisfied with my performances. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of myself but I will now spend days picking over the ride thinking I could have pushed harder here or gone faster there. I've done it with all my marathons and lots of over events. There aren't many that I think that I gave it my absolute all. I know its stupid but it will force me back next year to do it faster which is a positive.

Stuart Walker said...

Hi

Really enjoyed reading your account. Our paths must have crossed at some point as I set off at 8:04 and finished at 16:12. You did well sticking by your mate though all his mechanical troubles.
Your delay saved you from the worst of the weather on Hardknott though, I got soaked going up Eskdale and then on Hardknott had to put up with a traffic jam caused by a tow truck and a broken down car coming down not being able to get past an injured cyclist receiving first aid.
My ride probably looked the opposite of yours - I stormed round to Buttermere in 3:01 - including a toilet stop in Borrowdale! However, after Newlands I got a pain in my left knee which forced me to ease back a bit. I also stopped off at Whinlatter for a bit where the family had travelled to watch. Then after the second feed I felt pretty weak for the rest of the ride despite eating 2x what you say you did! All my remaining bars/gels didn't bring me fully back, but I just about managed to ride Hardknott.
I'm definitely planning to do this again next year, and would like to aim for 7:30. Reading your story, you ought to be able to do similar, mechanicals permitting.
Good luck with the rest of your prep for the Etape - I know quite a lot of local people doing it including the trading standards guy who visits my factory (Eamonn Quinn 7:15 in the Fred) and my next door neighbour (Dave Ralph 6:16) plus a couple of the gang I go skiing with who live near Coniston. I'm sure you'll all be enjoying the 1000s of training miles!!

Simon Lewis said...

Thanks for the long comment Stuart and well done on a great FW performance.

Thanks for the encouragement. Sub-8 will be the target next year and without mechanical problems, it will be achievable. As for sub 7:30, we'll see.

The Etape holds less fear now. Getting through the Fred in one piece was a big step. If the Dave Lloyd and Dartmoor Classic go well, it will be fine.