Friday 8 May 2009

Fred Whitton Challenge Preview

Its been near 11 months (330 days) since I begun cycling (again) and Sunday will see me tackle my hardest event to date. The Autumn Epic was hard but the Fred is easily another level up, if not more.



112 miles in the Lake District with what seems to be 20 or so climbs. The nine biggest climbs are Hawkshead, Kirkstone Pass, Matterdale End, Honister Pass, Newlands Hause, Whinlatter Pass, Swarth Fell and the sting in the tail. Hardknott Pass and Wrynose Pass. The profile looks very scary.

Kirkstone Pass, also known as The Struggle, is a really hard test but Hardknott Pass and Wrynose Pass are apparently the hardest on the course. Some say Hardknott is the toughest due to its length and 33% section, others say Wrynose as its the last big hill of the day and your legs have gone. Either way, many walk.


My training has mostly gone to plan. I probably missed one or two long rides but I've done some hard training with two centuries, 240 miles in Devon and lots of good rides of 70 to 80 miles. My weight is OK, maybe 2kgs away from my pre-Fred target but it will do.

Good luck to anyone who is doing it. The weather seems ok, rain showers at worst. It should be a fun day.

7 comments:

Red Bike said...

Best of luck. I will be watching this blog with intrest to see how you get on.

I've tried to enter this event a few times but 'thankfully' it's always been full. I think it would kill me!

kate said...

all the best! hope you enjoy it, remember to look at the view ;)

Lost Sheep said...

Good luck! It looks mighty tough and not something I'd even dream of as I don't think I'd be able to get up any of those climbs!

All the training you've done will get you through it.

I'm looking forward to hearing your account of it.

Simon Lewis said...

Cheers guys. After headaches with a broken front mech, buying the wrong cleats and find out my rucksack won't fit all my stuff for the train journey, its been a stressful day. Once I get there, I'll be fine and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Thanks, Simon.

downsey said...

Best of luck Simon, this is one I'd never even consider so keen to know how you get on. Walking up a 33% in cycling shoes is no joke !

John Sutton said...

How did it go?

Simon Lewis said...

What a day. I've put up my post now. It was so hard but very rewarding. I managed no walking which I'm really chuffed with. Thanks for all the encouragement. Cheers.