Monday 25 May 2009

Getting the miles in

Sunday

I only had the morning for any exercises on Sunday as we had a family picnic at 1pm with Cath's sister's family. I needed to get some more distance in so I got up at 6:00 am and was out the door by 6:30. I was so tired I could hardly say my name but it had to be done.

The aim - a quick blast to Box Hill and back taking in just the three hills but aiming to keep the speed higher than normal. I had a great time and enjoyed myself under the blue sky. I kept my speed up and I'm delighted with the above 17 average. As a treat I made myself a tea fruit cake. It is really yummy.

Stats
Distance: 72.56
Time: 4:10:08
Average Speed: 17.41 mph
Average Cadence: 87
Ascent: 4,198
Nutrition: Trek Bar (1), High5 drink (1 bottles), Water (1 bottles)

Monday

This was my last day to get any significant miles in for May so it was up very early again (5:45) and out on the bike. I had an appointment with my 4 year old at the cinema to see Night at the Museum 2 (yey) so I had no choice but to get up that early.

I was going to go and do Sunday's route in reverse but I decided to go to Richmond Park instead. I thought laps of that would be a change from two days in the Surrey Hills. It was a mistake as each lap I did, I thought about leaving for home. If I'd gone to Box Hill I would have had no alternative but to finish the 70 mile lap.

I managed the 9 miles there plus four laps before my sore bottom, aching legs and large rain clouds convinced me to head home. I'd only done 35 miles at this stage but guilt took over and I kept finding longer and more convoluted routes home until I reach 60 miles. I'm a bit disappointed not to get to the 70 mile mark but I have done 240 miles in three days which looks great in the spreadsheet and means I should reach May's targets. Now where's that cake.

I did have one big downer over the two days. I have a clicking noise that's coming from somewhere around the bottom bracket. It started at the end of Saturday and got worse on Sunday and was very annoying today. Its a double click as the right crank goes over the top and its very loud. Nothing seems loose and there is no play in the cranks. Looks like a trip to the bike shop. Please please please not an expensive fix.

Stats
Distance: 60.69 miles
Time: 3:42:49
Average Speed: 16.34 mph
Average Cadence: 81
Ascent: 3,053
Nutrition: Go Bar (1), High5 drink (1 bottles), Water (1 bottles)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simon,

Found your blog after entering L'etape for 2009. It seems we have a bit of a parallel universe thing going on at the moment, I live across the Common from you, seem to cycle same routes, Richmond / Surrey Hills and at present am getting an odd clicking sound from my bottom bracket (currently I am blaming Luciano's who fitted a compact).

Anyway good luck with the training, and I hope you sort that clicking sound out, if not I may recognise you as we speed round Richmond!

Simon Lewis said...

How odd. I just took the bike into Luciano's. They were pretty cool and took it for a ride and then tightened up everything they could. All for no charge. I hope it helps.

Good luck to you too. I hope to bump in to you around Box Hill or RP. Have you got any races before Etape?

Anonymous said...

I did the WhiteHorse just over a month ago, then King of the Downs 2 weeks ago. This weekend I'm doing the Little Lumpy and I've got a trip to Wales to follow the route of the Gran Fondo Cymru.

I've also been tempted by a weekend in France near Ventoux a couple of weeks before the big event, basically scoping out the enemy!